Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Motivational Speaking

So I went to a seminar today. The topic was how to be an excellent manager.

It was presented by a gentleman, he was 5 feet of annoying, fast talking, bullshit artist. He called me out for yawning. I was honestly there to find ways to make a difference in my life. No matter how hard I tried to listen I just wasnt getting it, it was all moving way too fast for my attention span. After he pitched over and over why I needed to buy his many collections of motivational books I felt like I was watching an infomercial. He kept quoting people I never heard of, and asking did you read this book? I felt really stupid. Wasnt he there after all to help pump me up and make me feel motivated? I was motivated enough to fall asleep in my car during our lunchbreak.

When he called me out for yawning ( which I desperately tried to hide ) I just apologized and said I have a baby at home. It was really embarrassing. I was squirming in my seat for most of the day, unable to focus. He was talking way too fast. He kept playing word tricks on people. It wasnt my bag. I am disappointed. I guess he was a good speaker in alot of ways just not my way. When he asked us questions I faltered. I was the only one there that couldnt speak correctly.I was stuttering and mispronouncing words I would normally have no problem with. I told him I enjoy technology and am always looking to get on the truck. The fucking truck. What is that? What the hell did I mean to say. I dont even know. Public speaking usually isnt a problem for me. It was today. Is this a confidence issue? Or was it that I had the guy figured out? Did I not care because he seemed pompass, or uninteresting to me? Am I the 3% that he quoted wouldnt learn a thing from his seminar? This really sucks. I really, really wanted to learn something that I could put into action in my day to day experiences. If I said half of the things he said I would be the laughing stock of the office because everyone would know I was full of bs. Needless to say I did not buy any books.

Send me to a real school, please?

1 comment:

Jason Dufair said...

It is both a blessing and a curse to have a highly accurate bullshit detector built into your brain. Don't worry, though, there are only about 3% of us that do. :-)